Skip to content Skip to navigation

Alcohol misuse can have a huge impact on parents, carers and families. Families need support too. If you are affected by someone else's substance misuse you can get help.

Support nationally for anyone affected by someone else's drinking

If you are affected by someone else drinking then help and support is available. There are a number of national agencies that can help.

Al-Anon provide support to anyone whose life ie, or has been, affected by someone else's drinking. Support meetings are held in Shrewsbury, details can be found on their website here

Ad-fam also offer very helpful help and support to families.

Support for families of service users

If your loved one is receiving treatment for their alcohol misuse though The Shropshire Recovery Partnership you can also talk to the service yourself. Any information you share will remain confidential. Please contact the service on 01743 294 700.

Please note that the service will not be able to share any information on your family member unless consent has been given prior to the request.


If you would like further information, please consult the 'helpful links' section on this page.

Fact Zone

It is estimated that 2.6 million children in the UK are living with parents who are drinking hazardously and 705,000 living with dependent drinkers
Victims believed the offender(s) to be under the influence of alcohol in around half (47%) of all violent incidents, or 917,000 offences
An estimated 9990 people were casualties of drink-driving accidents in the UK in 2011 including 280 who were killed and 1290 who suffered serious injury
Adults living in households in the highest income quintile are twice as likely to drink heavily as adults in lowest income quintile - 22% compared to 10%
There are an estimated 1.6 million people dependent on alcohol in England


Helpful Links